Search the indicated locations to find all 55 documents and 50 recordings and get the "Ordination", "The Apostle Paul", "Bible Study", and "The Road To Damascus" achievements. None of the collectibles are missable. You can get them through chapter select at any time (even after completing the game). Documents are sheets of paper that can be picked up like normal collectibles. Recordings require you to film certain events. You can track everything in chronological order, chapter by chapter, or by collectible type. View the menu options to see everything you have found. The order in the following videos is identical to the chronological in-game tracker.
Chapter 1: Genesis
Chapter 2: Job
Chapter 3: Lamentations
Chapter 4: Judges
Chapter 5: Leviticus
Chapter 6: Revelations
The "Messiah" achievement is the hardest in the game. You must complete the Insane difficulty in one continuous playthrough without reloading the batteries of your camera and without dying. There are no checkpoints on Insane mode. If you die, the game restarts at the very beginning. Insane is based on the Nightmare difficulty. Enemies run much faster than they do on lower difficulties. There is absolutely no room for error. It is recommended that you do a practice run on Nightmare and replay all enemy encounters until you can do them with a 100% success rate every time. The following are some tips and strategies for the Insane difficulty:
- Set Gamma to the maximum in game options and increase the brightness and contrast on your TV/monitor to 100% so you can see in the dark without using the camera.
- Practice a lot. Replay all difficult sections on the Nightmare difficulty until you get the methods down. One mistake and you are dead.
- You are allowed to pause the game (for the "Ashael" speedrun achievement), but there are no checkpoints -- so you cannot leave the game.
- Know when to consume battery power and when not to. Only use it for tricky enemy encounters. Do not waste it on navigation, just keeping trying until you find your path through the dark.
- Quickly turning night vision on and off consumes less energy than keeping it on continuously. Turn it on for just a split second to get a single image of your surroundings. This should be enough to find the right path.
- Be quick when being chased by enemies. If they catch up to you it is game over.
- If possible, use a stealth approach to avoid combat. It may take longer but it is safer.
The following video is a speedrun walkthrough of the full game and ending with no batteries, barrels, or closets. You will get the "Messiah", "Saint", "Prophet", "Ashael" achievements for completing this same speedrun.
Outlast 2 has an interesting story and ending. The cutscenes create more questions than answers and it is up to the player to fill in the blanks and connect the dots. It is a story where you have to read "between the lines", where the little details matter far more than the bigger picture. In a very unique way, the game does much of its story-telling through collectibles (55 documents and 50 video recordings). Finding and reviewing these collectibles is vital to understanding what is really going on. The following video shows the contents of collectibles in chronological story order. Pay attention to collectibles #78, 79, 82. Those explain the mind control and connection to Murkoff Corporation from the first game (the reason why everyone has gone mad). Another interesting collectible is #14 called "Val's Secret". It says that Val is a man but in the game he (she) is female. Basically, the collectibles reveal that Murkoff Corp has built a secret microwave tower that controls the minds of the villagers and makes them hallucinate. When you see the bright flash of light, followed by a vision of the school, it is because the tower is sending microwave mind control signals which cause everyone to have weird visions and daydreams. As time goes by, you can also notice through the recordings that Blake is losing his mind more and more. The closer he gets to the tower, the worse the visions become.
This can only be done in the school during the "Raining Blood" sub-chapter in Chapter 3: Lamentations. At one point the fire sprinklers will go off, but instead of water they are sprinkling blood everywhere. Run and slide down the blood-smeared hallway to get the "Slip And Slide" achievement. You need to gain enough speed before sliding. Do not equip your camera, as it will slow you down too much. This is the only opportunity for a 12 meter slide. You can replay this section through chapter select at any time.Steam achievements
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding achievement. To view your achievements and stats in Steam, select "Community", "My profile", "View all my games", then the game and view stats.
- Messiah: Finish the game in Insane Mode without reloading the camera battery.
- Ordination: Collect all documents.
- Preacher: Finish the game in Nightmare Mode.
- Prophet: Finish the game without hiding in a barrel or closet.
- Saint: Finish the game in Insane Mode.
- Sanctified: Finish the game in Hard Mode.
- The Apostle Paul: Complete all recordings.
- Asahel: Finish the game in under 4 hours.
- Bible Study: Collect 40 documents.
- Born Again: Finish the game.
- The Road to Damascus: Complete 30 recordings.
- Be Thou Clean: Escape from the Scalled.
- Golgatha: Reach the mine facility.
- Let No Man Put Asunder: Reunited with Lynn.
- Revelations: Witness the end.
- Sancti Sepulchri: Descend into the mines.
- Babylon: See the distant mines where Lynn is captive.
- Hang in there, Baby: Escape the crucifixion.
- Heal the Sick: Use 10 bandages.
- Proper Penance: Crawl for 500 meters.
- Slip and Slide: Perform a twelve-meter blood slide.
- Them That Hath Ears: Use the microphone for 20 minutes.
- Thoroughly Baptized: Spend 10 minutes underwater.
- What God Has Joined: Find Lynn.