Successfully complete the game on any difficulty setting, and save when prompted. You can start a new session on the same difficulty with your cleared saved game file to begin with all weapons at their current level, items, Essence, and stats from your original session.Unlockables
Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding bonus:
- Black Jaguar costume: Successfully complete the game on the Path Of The Mentor difficulty.
- Camoflauge Ninja costume: Successfully complete the game on the Path Of The Warrior difficulty.
- Dark Blood costume: Successfully complete the game on the Acolyte difficulty.
- Golden Ninja costume: Successfully complete the game on the Path Of The Master Ninja difficulty.
- Music Test option: Successfully complete the game on any difficulty.
- Old Film Filter option: Successfully complete the game on any difficulty.
- Path Of The Master Ninja difficulty: Successfully complete the game on the Path Of The Mentor difficulty.
- Path Of The Mentor difficulty: Successfully complete the game on the Path Of The Warrior difficulty.
- Survival Challenge mode: Successfully complete the game on any difficulty.
Successfully complete the following tasks to get the corresponding weapon:
- Dragon's Claw and Tiger's Fang: In Chapter 4, take those weapons from the glass display case in the first room at the Statue Of Liberty's base.
- Eclipse Scythe: In Chapter 6, defeat Volf.
- Falcon's Talons: In Chapter 2, you will see another building just before you go to the Dragon Shrine. Kill the ninjas there.
- Kasari-Gama: In Chapter 5, a dead ninja will be holding this weapon on the second bridge you reach on your right.
- Lunar Staff: In Chapter 1, there is a statue in a shrine holding that weapon after the halfway point.
- Tonfa: In Chapter 7, this weapon can be taken from a dead ninja in the storage room that you drop into.
Collect all 30 Crystal Skulls to unlock the Giant Crystal Skull. At the beginning of Chapter 13, after going through a few rooms with enemies, you will reach a large green pillar in a room with centaurs. The Giant Crystal Skull is also there. Its description reads "Obtainable only by those with superhuman powers of observation." Its detailed description reads "A gigantic crystal skull from ancient legend. According to legend, this enormous skull belonged to a giant who walked the earth long ago. In these ancient times, the world knew no peace, and tribes fought each other to near extinction. None could see an end to this chain of suffering, until the giant appeared. He vowed to bear the sins of mankind upon his own soul, and offered himself as a sacrifice to the gods. His skull was then locked away in a room overflowing with human suffering." The legend ends with the warning, "He who possesses this skull must accept the date of the giant as his own."Crystal Skull Gamerpic
Collect all 30 Crystal Skulls to unlock the Crystal Skull Gamerpic.Ryu Gamerpic
Successfully complete the game on the Path Of The Master Ninja difficulty to unlock the Ryu Gamerpic.Recommended Dragon Sword upgrade
Unless you want to waste 30,000 Karma points, it is recommended that you do not upgrade the Dragon Sword. Use one of the other weapons available, such as the Falcon's Talons, the Dragon's Claw and Tiger's Fang, Vigoorian Flail, Tonfa, Elipse Scythe, Kusari-gama, or the Lunar Staff. The Falcon's Talons are recommended. By level 3 or 4 you should be able to max upgrade the weapon of your choice, then use it throughout the game. In the beginning of Chapter 11, there will be an intermission sequence in which you get the Dragon's Eye, which will max the Dragon Sword's level automatically.Managing health
You can only hold a limited amount of health restoratives, which are the Herb Of Spiritual Life and the Grains Of Spiritual Life. However, whenever you use a Lives Of The Thousand Gods, after the health meter increases, it will also restore your health. Hold on to the Lives Of The Thousand Gods as long as you can because it will restore all of your health as well as increasing it.Bypassing enemies
Trigger an enemy, retreat to a save spot, save your game, and reload. When you return to the location where you triggered the enemies, they should no longer be there. Note: This does not work in some locations due to save spots being blocked off.Easy Essence in Chapter 1
After the second Crystal Skull (where there are two flame archers), continue down the path, and kill the ninjas. Jump past the first pipe. There are two pipes leading towards a safe point. Save your game, then go back. Jump past the first two pipes, and walk towards the single one. Turn 180 degrees, and jump onto the first of the two pipes (towards the save point). Hang there, and release. Turn the camera to see four or five respawning ninjas coming at you. Load up your ultimate technique, and kill the ninjas. If done correctly, you will get 2,000 Essence per attempt. This works with a Dragon Sword, but the best weapon is the Lunar Staff. You can get that weapon further in the chapter then backtrack to this location. After you have done this, walk up the ladder, go to the same pipe, and let go again. The ninjas will attack again. You will have more than enough time to load up your ultimate technique. Sometimes they do not all come at once. If this happens, you will have to fight one or two ninjas at the ladder. You can use the Essence collected to upgrade your weapons in the first chapter (Dragon Sword and Lunar Staff). Just go to Muramasa, then return to the farming location. Upgrade your Lunar Staff first because it works well during Essence farming. You can then buy a Talisman Of Rebirth and save the rest of your Essence.Easy Yellow Orbs in Chapter 2
When you run up the planks of wood to get onto the roof, you will fight three enemies. Defeat the enemies, but do not fall down to the room below. Simply kill the enemies, jump back to the planks, then jump back to the roof. As you land, immediately double charge your weapon of choice, and kill the enemies again. They will continue to respawn as long as you do not jump down into the room below. It is possible to get 120,000 Yellow Orbs in about two hours.Rod Of Trial in Chapter 2
The Rod Of Trial is an item that grants access to the Test Of Valor, which is a series of challenges found in several chapters that, upon completion of a test, will reward the victor with rare and useful items. In order to get the Rod Of Trial, defeat all the enemies running down from the stairs and into the yard. When you have killed all the ninjas, the candles behind the fence will light up, and the Rod Of Trial will appear. If you hare having difficulty defeating the enemies in the yard, target the archers around the perimeter before killing the ninjas rushing towards you. The arrows from the archers are difficult to spot, especially if you are surrounded by a group of ninjas. The in-game description of the Rod Of Trial is "A rod symbolizing the fighting spirit, cast from the purest of gold. Those upon whom it is bestowed face an endless path of battle, as though they walked through the underworld itself. It is said that those who carry it must face hordes of opponents in fights to the death known as Tests of Valor. According to legend, this treasure was one possessed by the god of war himself."Easy "Feat Of A Hundred Slashes" achievement in Chapter 3
Move next to the save point near the first Test Of Valor warp point. From there you can drop down to the subway. It is here that you can get the 100-hit combo with almost no effort. Once you have dropped down, run toward the subway cars. Try to get into the little hole under the cars, and kill almost all enemies. Eventually you will see two enemies appear near the opening from where you came from. If everyone is dead, one will rush up and the other will try to hit you with arrows. Wait until the enemy running toward you is almost in the pit. Once he is that close, jump up in the air and hit him with shurikens. You should get about four hits each time. The ninja will just stand there and not attempt to block. Do this as rapidly as possible. As you hit the ninja he will stumble back. Eventually you will need to close the distance. Once this has occurred, you must start jumping back and forth to avoid the ninja shooting the arrows, and continue your shuriken attack on the first ninja. He will die once you have hit him about 70 times. Once he dies, you will hear him grunt. You will then have to close the distance with the other ninja. He will also run toward you to close the gap as well. Repeat the same trick as above (jump and throw). You will get the achievement easily.Hidden Xbox in Chapter 4
Enter the Statue Of Liberty museum across from the Test Of Valor. There is a breakable wall that looks like it is made of straw. Slice it open to find a silver Xbox that will fully restore your health an unlimited number of times.Easy Yellow Essence in Chapter 6
Just after the Giant Skeleton mini-Boss, you will encounter more Scorpion Skeletons. Fight and Wall Run your way through until you get up a floor. Then, drop down, and make your way back up to get more Yellow Essence. Repeat this as many time as desired. -From: Mark WinzenreadEasy "Feat Of A Hundred Slashes" achievement in Chapter 6
Before the Giant Skeleton mini-Boss, a large number of Scorpion Skeletons will attack. Jump around them, and throw shurikens until you reach a 100-hit combo.Vigoorian Flail in Chapter 9
Immediately after you defeat the tunneling worm mini-Boss and follow the path it makes out, there will be a small fork in it. If you take the fork to the right, you should find yourself climbing a small hill. Atop the hill is a corpse. Examine it to find the Vigoorian Flail.Easy Yellow Essence in Chapter 14
When you get to the save point and go to the room where the Blood Eels appear, go back to land, and take out the Eclipse Scythe. This strategy works much better than using the Harpoon Gun because the eels cannot damage you while you are on land. Keep attacking the Blood Eels until they are all dead. Once the eels are dead, go back to the save point. Save the game, and the eels will automatically respawn each time you go back into the room. This makes collecting Yellow Essence easy as long as you stay on land to kill them.Boss obliterations
Several Bosses in the game actually have an obliteration you can perform on them. For example, towards the end of Silver Worm and Fire Armadillo's lives they will be stunned. When you can walk up, press Y to finish them off. Note: The greater fiends and Geshin do not have one.Crystal Skull locations
The Crystal Skulls are found at the following locations:
1. After getting the Fire Ninpo, you will come outside to a ledge where you are supposed to jump off and land below to fight more enemies. If timed correctly, you can jump across to the roof on the other side to get the Skull you can see from where you are standing. If you fall short, use the ladder to climb up and try again.
2. The Skull is found next to the first flaming archers you encounter. Run up and jump off the tree halfway down the stairs as you walk towards the bridge they are firing from.
3. Go to the river bed shortly after learning the Water-Run technique. The Skull is resting on the bottom near the end of the river before the bridge. Hold A to dive down and collect it.
4. Defeat the sub-Boss in the room with the giant golden dragon winding around. Go to the second floor, and jump to the platform on the left-hand side. Smash through the wall to find a hidden room with the Skull on one of the shelves.
5. Near the beginning of the sewer area, after learning the Wind Blades technique, there should be a short path to the right with a metal staircase. Ascend the stairs to reach the Skull near the top.
6. After you learn how to perform the Invisible Path technique, go the opposite way of the main path. There is a small crevice in the wall you can run back and forth on to reach a rock platform with the Skull.
7. Go to the streets shortly after exiting the subway. After running for a little while and turning a few corners, you will find an open area and some crowded apartment buildings to your right. There is a Skull on one of the steel apartment exterior staircases/balconies near a ninja corpse. Use Wall Run to reach it.
8. Near the middle of the level when jumping from the broken overpass to a ladder, you should see a ledge with a Skull on it in front of you. Either use a correctly timed jump to reach it, or wait until after you get above that area and climb back down a ladder to collect it.
9. The Skull is on the girders inside the Statue Of Liberty. When you are climbing up the stairs to the saved game point, jump on the girders in the middle of the room. You should see the Skull resting on one of them.
10. Located on a boat in the second body of water you can access. Instead of crossing the bridge, hang left and go around the corner to where you obtain the Kusarigama. Run across the river. The Skull is on one of the boats.
11. Shortly afterwards, you will walk into a marketplace with some tables and chairs with a single exit on the right-hand side. The Skull is immediately to your right outside the doorway you exit.
12. After collecting the Spear Gun and swimming through about two areas, there will be groups of exploding jellyfish creatures. Reach the second group of such creatures on your right in a small passageway. They will respawn for awhile. Keep killing them and collect Essence. After they are all dead, swim over there to find a Skull at the bottom of the floor to your left.
13. At the very start of the level, immediately turn around and jump on the section of roof behind you that slopes down into the water. Cross over to the other side of the roof. Walk down a few step to find the Skull tucked away very close to where you were originally standing when the level began.
14. When you reach the guillotine, cut the rope for the Skull.
15. In the library with a fireplace inside the castle where you fight a lot of ninjas, there is a Skull on one of the bookshelves. It will appear after you make the books fall out by hitting the bookshelves.
16. When you first reach the controls at the front of the ship and start destroying them, a Skull will be uncovered slightly to the left of the main control panel.
17. The Skull is hidden in an alcove on your right after you start walking into a new hallway around the time that you find the Tonfas off a dead ninja. It is near some debris.
18. The Skull is in the snow when you are crossing the minefield. It is found after the first section of mines where everyone was shooting at you through the windows of the three story building.
19. Once you get back inside again and leave the bell tower, you will begin descending a winding square staircase. The Skull is in one of the holes on the wall with candles in it.
20. After you enter the subway, in the room before where you find the dignitary's ID card is a Skull on the right-hand side of the room.
21. The Skull is on one of the gears about halfway up the area where you are jumping from one to another. It is on one of the medium-sized horizontal gears.
22. Go to the big open body of water you reach with the two searchlights. Go all the way to the right-hand corner. The Skull is behind one of the big wooden towers.
23. After using the Jade Mask and entering a new area, you will eventually reach a rope you must use to climb across to reach the other side. About midway through this climb (just past the giant tree), is a branch you can turn and swing towards on your right. Swing to this and then to one more branch for the Skull.
24. After defeating the worm Boss, immediately after the game save is another area with smaller worm enemies. The Skull is on the far right-hand side of this room on the ground.
25. After watching the short intermission sequence with the dead ninjas floating down the river, jump into the water. The Skull is in a small alcove on the left near the bottom, midway to the other shore.
26. After the fight with the worm enemies in the acid pit, use a Flying Bird Flip to reach the area above you. Wall Run on the wall to your immediate left, then jump to the one on the right. Once back on solid ground, turn around and Wall Run one more time from the wall on the left, and jump to the ledge in front of you to reach the Skull.
27. Once you enter the area with many flying dragon enemies, you will quickly reach a path descending to the area below. Once it levels out, follow it around to the left instead of where you normally go. The Skull is on the ground in a small open area.
28. After you pass the second shop, you will climb up a ladder and jump out a window into a familiar village setting from the original Ninja Gaiden. Go to the right of the village, and turn right into a narrow alley near the exit. There is a Skull in the far back right corner of this alley.
29. Pass through an underwater tunnel into a new area. The Skull is in a clearing inside a small wooden structure on the right.
30. Immediately after leaving the ninja fortress, instead of climbing across the rope in front of you, go to your left, and drop down into the opening in the floor. Follow this area back to the beginning of the original game, and jump down all the ramps to the far bottom left to find the Skull.
Note: These results are from playing on the Path Of The Warrior difficulty; results may vary due to different difficulties. Also, the chest locations are taken from the center of the entry circle.
Test Of Valor #1 - Chapter 3: Thunderclap Of Catastrophe
- Enemies: Teleporting spellcasters, low level Claw Ninjas, low level Sword Ninjas, flaming arrow ninjas
- Reward: Lives Of The Thousand Gods
Test Of Valor #2 - Chapter 4: A Captive Goddess
- Enemies: Lots of low level purple fiends
- Reward: Talisman Of Rebirth
Test Of Valor #3 - Chapter 5: The Aqua Capital
- Enemies: Low level lycanthropes, big fireball bats
- Reward: Jewel Of The Demon Seal
Test Of Valor #4 - Chapter 6: The Lycanthropes Castle
- Enemies: Scythe claw fiends, vampire bats
- Reward: Lives Of The Thousand Gods
Test Of Valor #5 - Chapter 7: The Flying Fortress Daedalus
- Enemies: Mechs, tactical ninjas, single rocket ninjas
- Reward: Left chest: Ghost Fish, right chest: Jewel Of The Demon Seal
Test Of Valor #6 - Chapter 8: Submit, or Die!
- Enemies: Four legged mechs, multi rocket ninjas
- Reward: Left chest: Jewel Of The Demon Seal, right chest: Ghost Fish
Test Of Valor #7 - Chapter 9: Heart Of Darkness
- Enemies: Bone scorpions, bugs
- Reward: Left chest: Ghost Fish, Right chest: Big Money Ball
Test Of Valor #8 - Chapter 10: The Temple Of Sacrifice
- Enemies: Ghost fish, red scythe claw fiends
- Reward: Left chest: Big Money Ball, center chest: Grains Of Spiritual Life, right chest: Ghost Fish
Test Of Valor #9 - Chapter 11: A Tempered Gravestone
- Enemies: Uber claw ninjas, ninja dogs
- Reward: Left chest: Ghost Fish, center chest: Lives Of The Thousand Gods, right chest: Ghost Fish
Accomplish the indicated achievement to get the corresponding number of Gamerscore points:
- The Art of the Wind Blades (5 points): Acquiring The Art of the Wind Blades.
- Mastered Reverse Wind (5 points): Successfully perform the Reverse Wind technique.
- Mastered Furious Wind (5 points): Successfully perform the Furious Wind technique.
- Mastered Shadowless Footsteps (5 points): Successfully perform the Shadowless Footsteps technique.
- Mastered Flying Swallow (5 points): Successfully perform the Flying Swallow technique.
- Mastered Flying Bird Flip (5 points): Successfully perform the Flying Bird Flip technique.
- Mastered Obliteration Technique (5 points): Successfully perform the Obliteration Technique.
- Mastered Ultimate Technique (5 points): Successfully perform the Ultimate Technique.
- Mastered Ultimate Guidance (5 points): Successfully perform the Ultimate Guidance technique.
- Mastered Counter Attack (5 points): Successfully perform the Counter Attack technique.
- Mastered Unrivaled Soaring (5 points): Successfully perform the Unrivaled Soaring technique.
- Mastered Invisible Path (5 points): Successfully perform the Invisible Path technique.
- The Art of the Inferno (5 points): Successfully perform the Art of the Inferno Ninpo.
- The Art of the Wind Blades (5 points): Successfully perform the Art of the Wind Blades Ninpo.
- The Art of the Flame Phoenix (5 points): Successfully perform the Art of the Flame Phoenix Ninpo.
- The Art of the Piercing Void (5 points): Successfully perform the Art of the Piercing Void Ninpo.
- Vanquished Alexei (15 points): Defeat Alexei in battle.
- Vanquished Volf (15 points): Defeat Volf in battle.
- Vanquished Zedonius (15 points): Defeat Zedonius in battle.
- Vanquished Elizebet (15 points): Defeat Elizebet in battle.
- Vanquished Genshin (15 points): Defeat Genshin in battle.
- Way of the Acolyte (100 points): Complete the game on the Path of the Acolyte.
- Way of the Warrior (100 points): Complete the game on the Path of the Warrior.
- Way of the Mentor (100 points): Complete the game on the Path of the Mentor.
- Way of the Master Ninja (100 points): Complete the game on the Path of the Master Ninja.
- Karma of the Warrior (20 points): Obtain 10 Crystal Skulls.
- Karma of the Mentor (20 points): Obtain 20 Crystal Skulls.
- Karma of the Master Ninja (20 points): Obtain all of the Crystal Skulls.
- Feat of a Hundred Slashes (20 points): Achieve a 100-hit combo with any weapon.
- Feat of a Thousand Obliterations (20 points): Defeat 1000 enemies using Obliteration Techniques.
- Feat of Ultimate Destruction (20 points): Defeat 1000 enemies using Ultimate Techniques.
- Dragon Sword Master (5 points): Complete the game using only the Dragon Sword.
- Lunar Staff Master (5 points): Complete the game using only the Lunar Staff.
- Falcon's Talons Master (5 points): Complete the game using only the Falcon's Talons.
- Dual Katana Master (5 points): Complete the game using only the Dragon's Claw and Tiger's Fang.
- Kusari-gama Master (5 points): Complete the game using only the Kusari-gama.
- Eclipse Scythe Master (5 points): Complete the game using only the Eclipse Scythe.
- Tonfa Master (5 points): Complete the game using only the Tonfa.
- Vigoorian Flail Master (5 points): Complete the game using only the Vigoorian Flail.
Additionally, there are twenty two secret achievements:
- One Of White (15 points): Purified the site of the first Test of Valor.
- Two Of Black (15 points): Purified the site of the second Test of Valor.
- Three Of Blue (15 points): Purified the site of the third Test of Valor.
- Four Of Green (15 points): Purified the site of the fourth Test of Valor.
- Five Of Yellow (15 points): Purified the site of the fifth Test of Valor.
- Six Of White (15 points): Purified the site of the sixth Test of Valor.
- Seven Of Red (15 points): Purified the site of the seventh Test of Valor.
- Eight Of White (15 points): Purified the site of the eight Test of Valor.
- Nine Of Violet (15 points): Purified the site of the ninth Test of Valor.
- Completed Chapter 1 (10 points): Finished Chapter 1, "Sky City Tokyo."
- Completed Chapter 2 (10 points): Finished Chapter 2, "The Castle of the Dragon."
- Completed Chapter 3 (10 points): Finished Chapter 3, "Thunderclap of Catastrophe."
- Completed Chapter 5 (10 points): Finished Chapter 5, "The Aqua Capital."
- Completed Chapter 7 (10 points): Finished Chapter 7, "The Flying Fortress Daedalus."
- Completed Chapter 9 (10 points): Finished Chapter 9, "Heart of Darkness."
- Extinguished The Flame (15 points): Annihilated Zedonius, the Greater Fiend of Flame.
- Silenced The Storm (15 points): Annihilated Volf, the Greater Fiend of Storms.
- Diffused The Lightening (15 points): Annihilated Alexei, the Greater Fiend of Lightning.
- Redeemed Genshin (15 points): Freed Genshin's soul and ended the reign of the Black Spider Clan.
- Staunched The Blood (15 points): Annihilated Elizebet, the Greater Fiend of Blood.
- Ended The Infernal Reign (15 points): Annihilated the High Infernal Priest, Dagra Dai.
- Indomitable Spirit (5 points): Choose to continue the game 100 times.
The following achievements require the Mission Pack downloadable content:
- Four Missions Completed (30 points): Complete 4 Missions.
- Eight Missions Completed (30 points): Complete 8 Missions.
- First Medallion (20 points): Obtain a Medallion in a Survival Mission.
- Acolyte of Missions (20 points): Complete all Karma Attack Missions on Path of the Acolyte.
- Warrior of Missions (20 points): Complete all Karma Attack Missions on Path of the Warrior.
- Mentor of Missions (20 points): Complete all Karma Attack Missions on Path of the Mentor.
- Master Ninja of Missions (20 points): Complete all Karma Attack Missions on Path of the Master Ninja.
- All Bronze (30 points): Obtain all Bronze Medallions in the Survival Missions.
- All Silver (30 points): Obtain all Silver Medallions in the Survival Missions.
- All Gold (30 points): Obtain all Gold Medallions in the Survival Missions.